ME02209 - CASTLEKEERAN - Ogham stone

You are here Home  > National Monuments >  ME02209 - CASTLEKEERAN - Ogham stone
Item image

Castlekeeran Ogham stone bearing the inscription ‘COVAGNI MAQI MUCOI LUGUNI’. Ogham stones were the first example of a written Irish language.

An ogham stone (H c. 0.6m) was unearthed in the graveyard (ME016-006007-) of the early monastery of Diseart Chiarain (ME016-006----) in 1898 and it is set up incorrectly with the top below. It is just N of the church remains, and has been read as: COVAGNI MAGI MUCOI LUGUNI (O'Connell 1957, 26; Macalister 1945, vol. 1, 46). However, a more recent interpretation (Herity and Newman Maguire 2012) has identified further letters and provides the reading: T_COVAGNI MAQI MUCOI LUGUNI ITI, which they translate as: ‘Of Thy Cuan son of the sons of Luigne’. Compiled by: Michael Moore Date of revised upload; 6 June, 2014

Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.

Monument Details

Address:
CASTLEKEERAN, Meath
GPS:
53.7409, -6.95407
SMRS:
ME016-006006-
what3words:
sunscreens.tides.amphibious

Nearby Images - Geograph.ie

Nearby Objects - Europeana


Close Reviews

Leave a Review