A tower in a semaphore communication system erected around the east, south and west coasts of Ireland from Dublin to Malin Head between 1804 and 1806. Communication was with ships of the Royal Navy offshore and between adjacent signal stations along the coast. The towers were built to a standard design though not all are identical. Usually square in plan, they are two storeys high often with a first-floor doorway and are defended with machicolations and bartizans.
There are currently no Monuments of this type available on www.meathheritage.com. Please check back soon!