Located in deep water in the subrectangular Lough Ervey (dims c. 550m ENE-WSW; c. 180-230m NNW-SSE) close to the SW end where the lake extends N-S (dims c. 450m NNW-SSE; c. 90-100m ENE-WSW) is but this part is reduced in length from its depiction on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map (L c. 630m). It is no the county boundary with Cavan (CV035-062----). This s a circular overgrown cairn (diam. 24m N-S; 22m E-W; H 1.5m over water level) that has evidence of a stone kerb and wooden piles on the perimeter N-E. Some artefacts, including four early medieval pins and a late medieval pewter flagon and plate, from the crannog are now in NMI (Lucas 1958 136-7; 1960, 33).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 31 August 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.