You are hereHome >Enclosure > ME00043 - LETACHMENTGALLON - Enclosure
Located on the summit of a NW-SE drumlin ridge. It is depicted as a circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 40m) only on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described in gothic lettering as a ‘Fort’. It is visible as a raised and grass-covered D-shaped area (dims 30m E-W; 26m N-S) defined by a scarp (at E: Wth 3m; H 0.4m; at N: Wth 2m; H 0.2m) at W: Wth 1.8m). The entrance ramp (Wth of base 3m) is at WSW. An E-W field bank and hedge overlies the monument at S and the bank survives SE-SW to the S of this feature.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 31 August 2018
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage