Depicted as a large building (dims c. 10m x c. 10m) on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6-inch map where it is described in gothic lettering as Ardagh Castle in ruins. It is situated at the crest of an E-facing slope in an area with grass-covered quarries. The entire parish of Ardagh was owned by the Lord of Slane in 1640, including 114 acres in the Manor of Ardagh, but the name of any tenant is not recorded (Simington 1940, 369-71). One wall (L 8m; Wth 1.2m; H 1m) survives oriented NE-SW with traces of it extending further to the NE (L c. 16m).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of revision: 3 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.