Located in what is now the W arm of Ballyhoe Lough, which was a large subrectangular lough (dims c. 900m -1.2km E-W; c. 600-800m N-S) with a peninsula protruding from the S shore as represented on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map. When drainage on the Glyde or Lagan River lowered the level of the lake numerous artefacts were collected from the shores of the peninsula, and two crannogs, one of which is Tree Island were noted (Morant 1867; Woodmartin 1886, 193-5).
The peninsula has now divided the lake in two, and this feature, which is represented on the 1836 and 1908 editions as an island (dims c. 30m x c. 15m) is now almost attached to the shore at the SE angle of the W arm of the lake. From an inspection conducted by NMI in the 1960s it is known to be a crannog (NMI file), but it is not now accessible because of weed growth.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 31 August 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.