Located towards the top of the E facing slope of a drumlin. The church is marked on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map of Slane, and in the later middle ages it was probably a chapel of ease in Drumcondra parish, although it is not listed in the visitations of Ussher (1622) (Erlington 1847-64, 1, xci-xcvii) or Dopping (1682-5) (Ellison 1973, 4-7). Cogan (1862-70, 2, 295) regards it as an ancient site dedicated to St. Bridget. Only the E gable and part of the N (L 5.9m) and S (L 8.2m) walls of a rectangular structure (max. dims 8.2m E-W; 6m N-S) survive, largely reduced to the foundations. The E gable has a complete round headed window (Wth 0.1m; H 0.33m) in a round headed embrasure (Wth 0.75m; H 1.53m) and is probably of 12th century date. The church is within a rectangular graveyard (dims c. 40m WNW-ESE; c. 32m NNE-SSW) defined by earthen banks with burials dating from c. 1780 to c. 1960. The motte (ME003-010----) is c. 30m to the E.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 10 December, 2014Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.