Lord Gormanstown owned 500 acres at Cloghreagh in 1640, including the ‘old Brocken Castle’ (Simington 1940, 335), which is also depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) parish map of Nobber. It is situated on a low NW-SE ridge. The E corner of a large, presumably square building, probably a tower house, survives to a height of c. 5m. The SE (ext. L 6m) and NE (ext. L 5.2m; T 1.2m) walls are featureless but both are rebated to take the first floor. A N-S lane just to its W truncates this building which stands at the E angle of a rectangular enclosure or bawn (dims c. 30m NW-SE; c. 23m NE-SW) defined by a ditch or fosse (Wth 4-6m; D 0.6-1m) on all sides except the SE where an 18th century building occupies its location. Just NE this building inside the bawn are the parallel grass-covered foundations of a house (int. dims 9.4m NE-SW; 3m NW-SE).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of revision: 3 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.