Located on a short NW-SE spur towards the bottom of a S-facing slope of Mathews’s Hill. A large oval embanked enclosure (ext. dims c. 70m NNW-SSE; c. 40m ENE-WSW) is depicted only on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described in gothic lettering as a ‘Fort’. This is an oval grass-covered area (dims 59m WNW-ESE; 32m NNE-SSW) defined by a slight scarp.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 3 September 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.