Situated on a level, low-lying landscape. It is depicted as a circular embanked enclosure on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described in gothic lettering as 'Crockannashangan Fort', and it is depicted as a D-shaped feature on the 1908 map. It is situated on the N side of an E-W drainage trench, and is now an overgrown mound (diam. c. 25m; H c. 2m) covered in spoil from drainage, and the original profile of the monument cannot be described. It might be a crannog.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 3 September 2018Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage