According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Henry Betagh owned 429 acres there in 1640 and on the premises was ‘a ruinous castle’ (Simington 1940, 301). Henry also owned 132 acres in Corbogg, but other members of the family owned most of the parish (ibid. 299-302). The castle is not indicated on any OS map, but it is marked on a manuscript map (ms: 21 F 14 (43) in NLI. It is situated on a local rise. One wall (L c. 7m N-S; T 1.5m; H c. 2m) with a fragment of a curving tower at its N end but no architectural features survives incorporated into the W wall of a farm building. This is probably the W wall of a bawn.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of revision: 10 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.