Situated at the centre of the S-shaped Breakey Lough (L c. 700m; Wth c. 100-175m). Depicted as a small island on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map, it is now in an overgrown marshy part of the lake. This is a circular overgrown mound of clay and stones (diam. c. 10m) but the cairn extends out for c. 3m all around before dropping off into deep water. There are traces of a kerb at some points, and what might be piles beneath the water.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 3 September 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.