Located towards the top of a S-facing slope, it is depicted on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map and it is described as ‘Fool’s Fort’ on both in gothic lettering. This is a circular grass-covered area (diam. 38m N-S; 37m E-W), the S half of which slopes down to the S (H 2m). It is defined by a grass-covered earthen bank (Wth of base 5-5.4m; int. H 0.2m at S to 1.1m at N) that has become overgrown since 1968 (Digitalmap), with an outer fosse (at N: Wth of base 2.6m; ext. D 0.3m) NNW-NE. The original entrance is likely to be that at ESE (Wth of base 1.1m). Archaeological testing (99E0477) to the S and SE failed to produce any related archaeological material (Murphy 2000).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 3 September 2018Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage