Situated close to an outlet at the E angle of the sub-rectangular Newcastle Lough (dims c. 350m NW-SE; c. 210-280m NE-SW), which is smaller than its representation (dims c. 500m NW-SE; c. 450m NE-SW) on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map. It is depicted as a small island (diam. c. 15m) only on the OS 25-inch map, and is now attached to the shore. It is visible as a slightly raised grass-covered oval area (dims 18m E-W; 14m; H 0.6m) with some trees. There is no indication of any artificial construction but fragments of quernstones have been found on it (SMR file).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 3 September 2018
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.