Located on a rise towards the bottom of a N-facing slope. It is represented on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map where it is described in gothic lettering as ‘Lismore’. This is a raised, slightly dished, subcircular and grass-covered area (dims 35m E-W; 31m N-S) planted with deciduous trees. It is defined an earthen bank (at WSW: Wth of base 10m; int. H 0.7m; ext. H 3m) that is largely reduced to a scarp (at ENE: Wth 5m; H 3.1m) and an outer fosse (Wth of top 8-9.5m; ext. D 0.5m at E to 1.3m at WSW) and an outer bank (at E: Wth of base 2m; ext. H 0.5m: at WSW: Wth of base 9m; ext. H 1.2m), which is very slight or absent E-SW. There is a ramp entrance (Wth of base 2m) at SE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 3 September 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.