Situated at the highest point of and at the centre of an E-W ridge. It is described as ‘Clark’s Fort’ in gothic script on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map. This is a circular grass and rush-covered area (diam. 33.2m E-W) defined by an earthen bank (Wth of base 6-6.7m; int. H 0.5-0.6m; ext. H 2.1-2.3m) with some bushes and a complete outer fosse (at E: Wth of top 6.2m; Wth of base 2.7m; ext. D 0.9m; at W: Wth of base 0.8m; ext. D 0.5m). There is a modern entrance and causeway at W but the original entrance is not identified. The interior is overlain by an ENE-WSW field bank S of the centre.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 3 September 2018Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage