Situated on a steep NE-facing slope overlooking the valley of the NW-SE Kilmainham stream. A circular enclosure (diam. c. 35m) with trees on the perimeter is depicted only on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described in gothic lettering as a ‘Fort’. There is a curving scarp (Chord c. 20m NE-SW; Wth 1.2m; H 1.5m) planted with trees W-N, but there is no indication that is is an antiquity.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 10 July 2007Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage