A cross, its base, and a stone mortar were associated with a T-shaped Roman Catholic church depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map. This church had been removed by 1910 (OS map) and they were lost for some time but they were recovered and are now kept safe close to the original church. The cross (H 0.51m; span 0.48m; T c. 0.15m) expands around the crux like a disc-headed cross to accommodate a cross in false relief on each face. At some point it was cemented into the base (dims 0.5m x 0.45m; H 0.36m). The cross is thought to be seventeenth century in date (SMR file). The mortar is a circular cylinder (ext. diam. 0.42m; H 0.5m) with a single hollow (D 0.22m). (Roe 1968, 124; Meenan 2000)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 3 September 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.