Located on a knoll with higher ground all around within c. 200m except to the W, and there is a small NE-SW stream is c. 70m to the S. This rath is described as ‘Lisatanvally’ on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map. It is a raised circular and grass-covered area (diam. 38.3m NNE-SSW; 37.5m E-W) defined by a largely overgrown earthen bank (at NNE: Wth of base 10m; int. H 1.1m; ext. H 3.4m; at SSW: Wth of base 10m; int. H 0.8m; ext. H 3.2m), and an outer fosse (at NNE: Wth of top 6.5m; Wth of base 2m; ext. D 0.5m) with an outer bank (at NNE: Wth of base 7m;l ext. H 2.5m) WNW-ENE. There is a large entrance (Wth of base 2.9m) at E. An ENE-WSW field bank, now removed outside the monument, crosses the fosse at NE and NW and provides a stone-faced base to the inner bank NW-NE. Rath (ME005-034----) is c. 170m to the ESE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 3 September 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.