Situated at the crest of a NW-facing slope overlooking rath (ME005-033----), which is c. 170m to the WNW. This rath is described as ‘Lisnaguinnell’ on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map. It is a circular grass and scrub-covered area (diam. 38.5n NW-SE; 37m NE-SW) defined by an overgrown earthen bank (Wth of base 7-8.5m; int. H 0.9-1.2m; ext. H 2.7-3m) separated by a fosse (Wth of top 8-9m; ext. D 0.7-1.2m) from an outer bank (Wth of base 3.2-6m; ext. H 0.5-0.7m) that is absent ESE-S. The entrance through the inner bank (Wth of base 2.3m) and causeway (Wth of top 3m; H 0.5m) are at E. The base of a relict stone wall (Wth 1.2m; H 0.4m) separates off the NW quadrant, and there is a house site (int. dims 5.5m NW-SE; 4.1m NE-SW) backing onto the inner face of the inner bank at NE and defined elsewhere by stones or a low earthen bank.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 3 September 2013
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.