Situated on a slight rise overlooking a small SW-NE section of a W-E stream that is c. 50m to the N. This rath is described as ‘Dungunnion Fort’ on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map. It is a slightly raised circular grass-covered area with some rock outcrop (diam. 42m NE-SW) defined by an overgrown earthen bank (Wth of base 4-5m; int. H 0.2-0.7m; ext. H 1.3-2m), with slight traces of a fosse (at NE: Wth c. 3m; ext. D 0.2m). There are gaps in the bank at SE, S and SW (Wth of base 2.3m), but the last is the most likely original entrance.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 4 September 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.