Situated on a SE-facing slope overlooking a NE-SW section of an E-W stream which is c. 120m to the N. It is described as ‘Lisdoo’ on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map, derived from Lios Dubh – the Black Fort, which it is known as locally. This is an oval grass-covered area (dims 48m NW-SE; 36m NW-SW) that slopes down to the SE (H 2m). It is defined by an earthen bank (Wth of base 3.8-6m; int. H 0.4-0.5m; ext. H 1.3-1.9m) and hedge, with an outer fosse (at NNE: Wth of top 2.7m; Wth of base 2m; ext. D 0.1m) that has been re-cut as a drain (Wth of top 3m; Wth of base 1.5m; ext. D 0.2m) W-NNW. There is an entrance (Wth of base 1.7m) and causeway (Wth of top 2.7m; H 0.3m) at SE. It remains unplanted in a coniferous forest since c. 2000 (OSAP).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 4 September 2018Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage