Situated on a hillock at the N end of Nobber overlooking the canalised River Dee c. 100m to the W and N. Hugh de Lacy granted Morgallion to Gilbert de Angelo before 1186, and he may have made Nobber the caput or centre of his manor. In 1227 the burgesses of Nobber received four carucates (townlands) in return for building a causeway between the motte and town (Bradley and King 1985, 118). The motte is a grass-covered earthen mound with a concave top (diam. of top 13m NNW-SSE; diam. of base 40m NNW-SSE; H 6.5m at S to 8.5m at N). There are trees on the sides but there is no clear evidence of a fosse, except at SE where a broad shallow fosse separates it from a bailey. The bailey consists of a raised rectangular grass-covered area (dims 33m NE-SW; 21m NW-SE).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of revision: 3 June 2016
This monument is subject to a preservation order made under the National Monuments Acts 1930 to 2014 (PO no. 1/1978).Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.