Located just off the SE end of a short NW-SE ridge on the SE-facing slope. It is depicted on the OS 6-inch map as a circular (1836) and as a rectangular enclosure surrounded by a wide fosse or moat (1908), and it is described as ‘Durrans Fort’ in gothic lettering on both editions. It is a circular grass-covered area (diam. 50.5m NE-SW; 49.3m NW-SE) with some deciduous trees sloping down to the SE. It is defined by a scarp (H 1.1m at NW to 1.8m at E) separated by a fosse (Wth of top 6m; Wth of base 2.5m; ext. D 1.1m) from an outer bank (Wth of base 4.5m; ext. H 0.5m) with an outer drain that is probably modern. There is a ramp entrance (Wth of base 3.1m) and a gap (Wth of base 2.5m) though the bank at SE. It is probably a rath that was adapted as a tree-ring by creating a rectangular enclosure (dims c. 40m x c. 40m) on the platform defined by earthen banks with inner drains. It was removed by 1995, apart from where the outer bank is incorporated into a field bank N-E-S.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michel Moore
Date of revision: 5 September 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.