Situated in a relatively low-lying position between drumlins. Graham (1974, 54) suggests that it was founded by Walter de Lacy before 1241 but the first reference to its charter is in the early fourteenth century Dowdall Deeds. In 1412 Thomas Fleming, Baron of Slane, had a licence for a weekly market and an annual fair at Drumcondra (Cogan 1867, 294). The settlement had declined by the seventeenth century but in the Civil Survey (1654) the manor of Drumcondra is still held by the Flemings of Slane. The survey describes it as a church and two waste castles (Simington 1940, 365), undoubtedly the mottes (ME006-010----; ME006-011----) located c. 425m to the N and c. 200m SW of the church site respectively. The mottes testify to its former importance, but it is never likely to have been more than a village centred on its NW-SE Main Street that widened at its NW end and could have incorporated a fair green. (Bradley and King 1985 35; Bradley 1988-9, 44)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 22 October 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.