Crossing over a SW-NE section of the River Dee, it is described as ‘The Yellow Ford’ bridge on the OS 6-inch maps. A bridge between the churches of Loughbrackan and Siddan is depicted on the Down Survey county and barony maps (1655-8), and what is called Aboybridge on the River Garvey between Loughbrackan and Siddan is described as broken in the Civil Survey (1655) (Simington 1940, 360). The bridge (Wth 7.4m) is aligned NW-SE and is level but it was widened by adding to the original SW side (4.7m). It has five arches, one on the SE bank (Wth 2.6m) and two on the NW bank, while two arches take the flow. There is no evidence of ancient masonry as the piers in the river were strengthened and the underside of the arches was rendered in 1932.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 26 October 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.