Located on a fairly low NE-SW ridge. This is a subcircular grass-covered area (dims 46m NE-SW; 39m NW-SE) defined by an overgrown earthen bank that is best preserved at SE (Wth of base 5.3m; int. H 1m; ext. H 1.4m) or a scarp (at NW: H 2.9m) separated by a fosse from an outer bank that has been largely levelled NNW-ESE. There is evidence of a second outer fosse S-SW. The entrance through the inner (Wth of base 2.1m) and outer (Wth of base 2.6m) banks and a causeway (Wth of base 6m; H 0.4m) are at SE. Rath (ME006-049----) is immediately to the SW. The entrance to the chamber of souterrain (ME006-050001-) is at the lip of the outer fosse on the E side. Archaeological testing (05E1046) by R. Meenan c. 80m to the NE produced no related material (excavatioins.ie 2005:1213).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Revised by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 26 October 2018
Amended: 29 January 2021
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.