A castle at Newcastle (58) in Killeagh parish and Fore barony is not marked on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony or parish maps (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Thomas Neugent of Rosse owned 280 acres there in 1640 and on the premises was ‘an unroofed castle and bawn, 20 cabins and a fishing wear’ (Simington 1940, 271). It is described as ‘Ross Castle’ in gothic lettering on the 1836 and 1908 eds of the OS 6-inch map. This is a four storey restored and occupied tower house (ext. dims 8m NNE-SSW; 7m WNW-ESE) with a base-batter and parapet, but only the W half is original. There are good quoins and the windows on the W side are narrow pointed opes with chamfered jambs. It is within a subcircular enclosure (diam. c. 44-50m) defined by masonry walls that appear to be modern, and there is a modern one storey structure just NE of the tower. Archaeological testing (18E0203) by P. D. Sweetman within c. 5m to the N produced no related material (excavations.ie 2018:610).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 10 June 2016
Amended: 29 April, 2021Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.