Situated on a slight rise. This is probably the parish church of Kilbride, although most of the parish is in Co. Cavan, and there is no evidence that there was ever a graveyard around it. The churches of Tibermessan and Tiperde are listed in the Papal Taxation of 1303 (O’Connell 1965, 173), and the latter name might have derived from Tober Bríd – St. Bridget’s Well. At its Suppression in 1540 the tithes of Kylebrede church belonged to St. Mary’s abbey in Kells (ME017-044039-) (White 1943, 263). Ussher (1622) describes the church and chancel of Castlecorre as repaired (Erlington 1847-64, 1, cxvii). According to Dopping’s Visitation (1682-5) the church and chancel of Castlecor, also known as Kilbride, were in disrepair although the parishioners were repairing it and this was completed by 1693. There was no enclosure around the church (Ellison 1975, 10).
This is the remains of a structure orientated NW-SE. Sections of the SW and NW walls survive with portion of a window surround in the NW wall. The full outline can be traced (ext. dims 15.5m NW-SE; 7.4m NE-SW) except for the NE wall, which is completely absent. There is no trace of an enclosure or of burial. Castlecor motte (ME008-011----) is c. 120m to the NW, and the motte and bailey at Glenboy (ME008-013----) are c. 700m to the ESE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 25 July 2014Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.