A castle at Crossdrum in Killeagh parish is not recorded in the Civil Survey (1654-6) or on the Down Survey (1656-8) maps, although 300 acres there were owned in 1640 by Patrick Plunkett, Lord Dunsany (Simington 1940, 273). It is depicted as a rectangular structure (dims c. 10m NE-SW; c. 5m NW-SE) with a projection at the E end of the NW side on the 1836 OS 6-inch map. It is also depicted with a rectangular enclosure (dims c. 25m NW-SE; c. 20m NE-SW) attached to its NW side on this map. It is located on a low ridge and was described in 1970 as an oval enclosure (dims c. 35m NW-SE; c. 25m NE-SW) with the castle visible as a small rectangular structure at its SE edge. Only a broad grass-covered platform (dims 55m N-S; 32m E-W; max. H 2.5m) which appears to be natural is evident now.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of revision: 8 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.