A castle at Tubroad in Killeagh parish is not depicted on the on the Down Survey (1656-8) parish or barony maps (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/) but according to the Civil Survey (1654-6) John Plunkett of Loughcrew owned over 100 acres there together with a castle, a cornmill and 9 cabins in 1640 (Simington 1940, 272). The castle is depicted as an oblong building (dims c. 20m E-W; c. 5m N-S) on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6-inch map and as the site of a castle on the 1908 ed. A cairn (dims 7m E-W; 2m N-S; H c. 0.5m) with some facing-stones visible is all that remains.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 8 June 2016
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.