A castle at Ballimackad (63) in Killeagh parish is not depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony or parish maps (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/) but according to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Christopher Plunkett owned 60 acres there together with the castle and bawn, and 30 cabins (Simington 1940, 272). The location is described as a castle and the site of a castle on the 1836 and 1908 eds of the OS 6-inch map, and is situated on a WNW-ESE esker ridge and c. 80m ESE of the motte (ME008-030----). The area has been quarried and some stone with mortar adhering is the only evidence of a structure.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 8 June 2016Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage