Situated on a rise in an undulating landscape and on the N side of the graveyard (ME008-035001-). An enclosure is depicted here on an estate map (21 F (30) 3) made in 1864, and a large D-shaped enclosure (dims. c. 100m E-W; c. 60m N-S) defined by two earthen banks and an intervening fosse can be seen in the oblique aerial photograph (CUCAP: BGM, 53). No feature is visible now in improved pasture, but if the perimeter at W is extended SE to encompass the S and E sides of the graveyard creating a large circular enclosure (diam. c. 100m) around the church (ME008-035----). There is no other evidence of an early date for the church.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 31 October 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.