Situated on a N-S esker ridge A large D-shaped enclosure (dims c. 120m E-W; c. 120m N-S) defined by field banks and with the straight side (L c. 100m) at E is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described in gothic lettering as a ‘Fort’. The bank W-N incorporates the townland boundary with Ballynagranshy. It is depicted similarly on the 1908 edition but with the bank partially depicted by hachures SW-W. It is locally known as ‘Brady’s Fort’, but the perimeter at W is removed. It is possible that the original perimeter extended out to the E making an oval enclosure and that some of the original defences might survive at S.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 31 October 2018
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.