Situated on a slight NE-SW ridge. Two standing stones, one now prone, have a rich folklore (Martin 1921) where ‘the speaking stones’ as they were called provided advice on many matters as long as they were asked only once. This injunction was broken time out of mind, and they are now mute. The upright stone (dims 1.7m x 0.2m; H 2m) is orientated NNE-SSW and leans slightly to the W. The fallen stone (L 2.4m; Wth 1.3m; T c. 0.2m) is 8m to the SW, and the rath (ME008-006----) is c. 140m to the WSW.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of upload/revision: 10 July 2007
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.