Situated at the SW end of a NE-SW ridge with spurs from this point off to the W and SE, it is described as ‘Cave Fort’ on the 1836 and 1908 OS 6-inch maps. This is a raised, D-shaped and grass-covered area (dims 36m N-S; 33m E-W) defined b y a scarp (at N: Wth 4.5m; H 2.6m; at S: Wth 5.3m; H 2m). There is no visible fosse or identifiable original entrance, but it is bisected by an E-W field bank that is faced with stone at N (H 1m) but flush with the interior at S, and the perimeter is truncated by the bank a N-S farm lane at E. The collapsed souterrain (ME009-010002-) is in the S interior.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 31 October 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.