Located towards the bottom of the N-facing slope of the Loughcrew Hills. Land Commission works during 1935 revealed two cists, which were largely destroyed before they could be investigated, but they were in a circular enclosure (diam. c. 25m) defined by a shallow fosse (Raftery 2011, 346). One cist was rectangular (dims 0.9m x 0.75m; D 0.46m) but without a capstone and it contained yellow clay with charcoal inclusions. The second cist was also rectangular in plan with a capstone. It was also filled with yellow clay that had charcoal inclusions, and a few fragments of bone were recovered. A third cist (ME009-055----) was discovered at the same time about 600m to the N. The location of this barrow is revised c. 270m to the S of that in Moore (1987, 21, No. 76) after the discovery of a new map.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 3 March, 2017Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.