Located on a gentle N-facing slope. This was removed in 1949 when it was described as an oval area ’44 yards NW-SE by 36 yards NE-SW’ which had an earth and stone bank and an outer fosse, with had an entrance at NE (NMI file). An area of burnt stone and charcoal ’11 yards by 7 yds’, from which two quern stones were recovered, was in the NW quadrant. Three decorated stones (ME009-103----; 104----; 105----) had been found in the perimeter at SE, and another piece (ME009-093----) was found c. 30m outside it to the W in 1972. The rath was still visible in 1969 as an oval grass-covered area (dims 48m N-S; 43.6m E-W) defined by a widely spread bank (at W: Wth of base 8.5m; int. H 0.2m; ext. H 0.4m) with an entrance (Wth of base 5m) at NE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 1 November 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.