Situated on a steep NW-facing slope of Patrickstown Hill on the N side of Slieve na Calligh ridge. This is a circular grass-covered area (int. diam. 25.5m NW-SE; c. 27m NE-SW) that slopes down to the NW. It is defined by a stone spread (Wth 4-5m; int. H 1m at SE (upslope) to flush at NW; ext. H flush upslope to 1.1m at NW), with facing-stones intermittently visible (original Wth 2.4m). The entrance (Wth 2.7m) is at SSE, and field stones are added to the perimeter. This monument was investigated by Rotheram (1899) who was disappointed at finding nothing apart from a rectangular house site (ME009-069001-) with a hearth on a stone base against the inner face of the perimeter at NE. The remains of this structure were not noted in 1969. Rath (ME009-068----) is c. 70m to the N, and standing stone (ME009-070----) is c. 65m to the E.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 1 November 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.