Situated on a rise of an E-facing slope overlooking a col between Patrickstown Hill to the W and a lower hill c. 300m to the E. The standing stone (ME009-074002-) is at the W edge of this rectangular grass-covered area (dims 16m E-W; 12.8m N-S) that remains unplanted in a coniferous forest. It is defined by an earthen bank (Wth 1.5-1.8m; int. H 0.1-0.2m; ext. H 0.3-06m) on the W and N and a scarp at E (H 0.5m) and S (H 0.3m). There is no visible fosse or entrance and it was probably built to protect the standing stone. Conwell (1873, 69) was of the view that the enclosure contained the dead of a local battle between the Plunkets and the O'Reillys. Archaeological monitoring (E004363) by C. Flynn of works connected with the forest track just to the S produced no related material (excavation.ie 2011:493).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 19 January 2015
Amended: 19 March 2021
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.