Situated on an E-facing slope overlooking a col between Patrickstown Hill to the W and a lower hill c. 300m to the E, and c. 20m S of the road from Kells to Oldcastle. The rectangular base of a cross is within a rectangular surround. The stem of a cross with a rectangular cross-section (dims 0.3m x 0.21m; total H 1.13m) is in three portions. The inscription is illegible now but the letters TM….SSON….WROHT might be made out. It is thought to commemorate a Margaret Plunkett and to have been moved from Ballinvally burial ground (ME009-061----) by the antiquary E. Crofton Rotheram (O’Reilly 1958, 51), but since the stone is described in italic lettering as a ‘Stone’ on the E side of the road on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map, it is more likely that it was just moved across the road.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 1 November 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.