Situated at the SW base of a low hill. This is depicted as an oval wood (dims c. 95m NNE-SSW; c. 45m WNW-ESE) on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map and as an oval enclosure on the 1912 edition. It is described as ‘Baltrasna Fort’ on both. This is an oval grass-covered area of rock outcrop (dims 58m NE-SW; 35m NW-SE) defined by a scarp (at W: Wth 1m; H 1.15m) at the N end of a larger oval area (dims 86m NE-SW; 41m NW-SE) defined by a scarp (at W: H 1.7m) and planted in deciduous trees. It could be entirely natural but inside the inner platform at S are the foundations of a house (int. dims 3.6m E-W; 3.3m N-S) defined by low earthen banks at N and S and a wall footing at W. Thee is no evidence of a souterrain as reported by Beryl Moore to the National Museum of Ireland (Rynne and Prendergast 1962, 43).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 9 April 2019Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage