A castle at Drakerath (158) in Staholmog parish and Kells barony is depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony and parish maps (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) John Drake of Drakerath owned 360 acres there in 1640 and ‘an old castle’ was on the property (Simington 1940, 310). The castle is depicted as one structure in a farm complex on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6-inch map and as a fragment of wall on the 1908 ed. It is on a slight rise in a fairly level landscape but is not visible at ground level in pasture.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 8 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.