A castle at Crauelstowne (90) in Emlogh parish and Kells barony is depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony and parish maps (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) the baron of Howth owned 350 acres there in 1640 and ‘a waste castle’ was on the property (Simington 1940, 298). The castle is depicted as one structure in a farm complex on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6-inch map and as a shell (dims c. 10m NE-SW; c. 5m NE-SW) with a projection at the E end of the NW wall on the 1908 ed. Only a featureless portion of the NE wall of this building remains.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 8 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.