Situated on a slight rise in a gently undulating landscape. It is depicted as a circular embanked enclosure described as a ‘Fort’ on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map and as a hachured feature on the 1912 edition. It was described in 1968 (SMR file) as an overgrown circular area (diam. 35m NE-SW; 33m NW-SE) that had been quarried but the original bank (at SE: Wth of base 8.2m; int. H 0.7m; ext. H 2.7m) survived ESE-S-NNW and was incorporated in a road bank NNW-ESE. There was no visible fosse but the likely entrance (Wth of base 1.9m) was at NNE. The scrub had been cleared by 1995 (OSAP).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 9 April 2019Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.