Located at the bottom of a slight W-facing slope, it is described as St Patrick’s Well on the 1836 and 1912 editions of the OS 6-inch map. Between those dates a lane, approaching from the S was built but the remnants of this are now overgrown. The well is a masonry cube (dims 3.1m E-W; 3.05m N-S; H 0.7-1.2m) with an opening (Wth 1m; H 0.8m) on the W (lane) side, which was in this form before the 1830s (OSNB 104, 303). The well is circular (diam. 1.35m) and it was covered by a dome protruding through the masonry cube. The granite stones of the dome form a cross. It had a cure for eye complaints. (French 2012, 1-3)
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 April, 2019Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.