Situated at the summit of Carnacop Hill. A small rectangular enclosure is depicted on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map. This is a raised circular and grass-covered feature (diam. of top 16.2m E-W; 16m N-S) defined by a scarp (H 0.6-0.7m). It is in the E corner of a raised grass-covered platform (dims c. 30m NW-SE; c. 30m NE-SW; H 1m) that is represented on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-in map. This is probably the site of an underground chamber or souterrain (ME012-006001-) discovered in 1805 (Reid 1823, 7-8 fn), of which there is no trace, and the enclosure could be the remains of a rath in which it was situated (Eogan 1957, 50).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 2 August 2022Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage