Situated on a gentle E-facing slope. This was described in 1968 (SMR file) as a raised grass and scrub-covered circular area (diam. 22.5m WNW-ESE; 20.5m N-S) defined by an earthen bank (Wth of base c. 3m at E to c. 4m at W; int. H c. 0.2m to 0.4m at W; ext. H 1.5m at E to 2.2m at W) with some scrub, and an outer fosse (at SW: Wth of top 3.4m; Wth of base 1.9m; ext. D 0.25m) S-WNW that is reduced to a slight berm elsewhere. The original entrance could be the oversailing of the bank at S as it approaches from the W that creates a tangential ramp entrance (L 7.5m; Wth of base 1.4m) rising from the E. In the interior a slightly raised circular area (diam. 9.6m E-W; 8.9m E-W; max. H 0.5m) W of the centre could be a hut-site.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moo
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 2 August 2022
Raised circular area defined by slight remains of bank (diam. 22m) and of fosse S-W. Original entrance may be at S. Circular raised area (diam. 9m), possibly a hut platform, in centre.
This monument is subject to a preservation order made under the National Monuments Acts 1930 to 2014 (PO no. 11/1970).Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage