A one storey gabled house with two chimneys at the centre of Killary (33) in Killary parish and Slane barony is depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) George Fleming owned 212 acres at Killary in 1640, and ‘an old stone house and a church’ were on the property (Simington 1940, 354). The church is probably the parish church (ME012-020----), which is not depicted on the Down Survey map. The castle is depicted as a small square building (dims c. 5m NE-SW; c. 5m NW-SE) on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6-inch map. A slight rise in the ground is the only indication of the monument in pasture.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 8 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.