Located towards the bottom of a W-facing slope. This is depicted as a circular embanked feature (ext. diam. c. 38m) annotated as the ‘Site of Rathkenny Fort’ on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map and as the ‘Rathkenny Fort (Site of)’ on the 1908 edition. It was described in 1968 (SMR file) as a subcircular grass-covered area (dims 22.7m N-S; 19m E-W) defined by a scarp (H 0.5m at S to 1.15m at W), with an outer fosse (at S: Wth of top 3m; ext. D 0.35m) that was absent at W. An entrance was not identified.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 3 August 2022Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage